Monday, October 23, 2006

DELIVER US FROM EVIL

Amy Berg's searing documentary about ex-priest and convicted pedophile Oliver O'Grady, Deliver Us from Evil, doesn't open at the Ritz theaters until Friday, October 27, and I fear some readers may have misinterpreted Sunday's "On Movies" column in the Inquirer. Berg's powerful doc is as much about the victims of Father O'Grady's 20 year run of serial molestation and rape as it is about the perpetrator himself. And the film is in no way an apologia for his despicable deeds. It honors the victims and their incredible bravery in coming forward, and captures the shame, suffering and pain they've endured since childhood.

Says Berg, from her interview with me at the Toronto International Film Festival: "How amazing are they? I mean, they talked to me after I interviewed their perpetrator. They were able to trust me... And they all really like the film. I’ve never done a story where the victims were happy with the outcome.... They're so real and raw [in the filmed interviews]. And then to be happy and proud of me and proud of themselves for doing it -- it's an incredible accomplishment."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

After seeing this movie, I can't understand how anyone can even go to Church on a Sunday. The meaning of "faith" has become lost in the ridiculous garb, marble buildings, and ludacris rules that the so called "Church" created (women can't be priests, homosexuality is wrong, etc, etc, etc). These "leaders" created their own cult - with their own rules - one of which was to protect their own - even child molestors - at all costs. The put themselves above the law. In turn, they theatened "faith." For me, faith is between me and God. Church should mean "community" - sadly, the community I want to be a part of doesn't have people like O'Grady or Mahoney in charge - or even as a member. Go see this movie!

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home